Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We Get To

I can remember over the years conversations I have had - too numerous in fact to mention - where the principle thing discussed was this elusive idea of doing what you LOVE to do.  You know, doing "your life's work".  Where what you do for a living becomes indistinguishable from who you are and how you live. All through my 20's and 30's, really smart people who I respected told me to do what you love, with the promise that the rest would take care of itself.  

At 48, I can honestly say I am waking up to the reality that we're doing exactly that.  But I must also admit that I am a complete moron for waiting so long to begin doing it.  Yes, years add (hopefully) a certain degree of wisdom to accompany the experience you acquire - and that's important - but what I wouldn't give for oh, say 10 years back of chasing dollar bills that I could trade in on church planting.  Just make a deal with me: Before you spend another five or ten years of your life 'working just to live', let's talk.  I think there is a better way.  

I met with a group of college students tonight from a Bible college near our town.  They wanted to interview me about our experience launching Crossroads.  I got to share with them the things we'd been through in our brief existence from the day we knew we would launch, through last Sunday.  As I shared with them highlights (and low-lights) from the hardest most difficult most awfully wonderful year of my life I realized, "Yeah, this is it. This is the part where have to has turned to get to.  And I can't imagine anything better."  

May each one of you find the place of 'get to' in your own life.  May God allow me the opportunity to see you realize it, and enjoy it in all its hardest, most difficult wonderfulness!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.