Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Morning After

I am grieved this morning.  And I am deeply concerned. The burden in my heart has little to do with the outcome of yesterday's election. Rather my distress centers on the effects that many of my brothers and sisters in Christ are allowing that outcome to have on them.

Too well, I remember the election in 1992.  I remember the bitterness, the anger, the rage, the resentment, and the hatred I carried in my heart for the Clinton administration.  I nursed and fueled that hatred with thousands of episodes of Rush Limbaugh's radio program, republican party newsletters, hard core right-wing conservative publications, and I stood ready at all times to filet some unsuspecting liberally-minded bystander with a razor-sharp tongue, sparing no effort to ensure my words not only proved that I was right, but demeaned them for their own beliefs.  The very image of Tom Foley, Pat Schroeder, or Tom Daschel was enough to send me into a rage.  I was owned by my political beliefs, and I believed them to be Christian in every way.  

As the returns came in last night, I gathered with friends and family to watch one of the most historic moments on television, since I sat in awestruck wonder as a man first set foot on the moon.  Born in a time prior to the establishment of the Civil Rights Act, I never imagined seeing this day.  But a new day has indeed dawned, and how Christians respond to this event has serious implications for the health of the church, and the growth of God's kingdom in the earth.

I implore you to search your heart and be willing to allow God to root out bitterness or resentment that is tied to your political beliefs. I have experienced first-hand the divisiveness that such beliefs foster, and I am brought low when I think of how many people I could have reached with Christ's love and forgiveness were I not standing judge, jury and executioner over them - determining their "sin" of being liberally-minded to be far worse than my own bigotry and intolerance.

Guys, I hear your arguments.  I read your angry emails, your derisive text messages, and blog comments. And I see my own reflection from 1992. Don't be that guy. Because, we will NEVER demonstrate the love of God to other people, until we ACT like heirs of grace. 

(Read Titus 3:1-3)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for saying what I am thinking! We woke up this morning with a new President-elect, but I'm pretty sure the same God still occupies the Throne. During this campaign, I have received hundreds of forwarded political emails. (C'mon, guys, have an original thought!) Most of them were hateful or sarcastic or fearful in tone. Note to fwd freaks on both sides of the aisle: I was very bipartisan in my handling of your emails. I delelted them all, unread.

    Watching Obama humbly take the stage after winning the election was a proud moment for me as an American. I felt certain I was watching history unfold. As I saw hope rise on the faces of the people in the crowd, I knew I was witnessing the slow demise of racial division in our nation. Whatever your politics, the 2008 election was a pivotal moment in American History.

    Maybe all you fwd-ers should consider deleting me from your fwd groups.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.