Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tick Talk

I wish I had some newfangled thing to talk about tonight.  I wish that together we could plumb the depths of our vast theological brilliance and impress one another with astounding observations about what God meant when He did this, or what Jesus meant when he did that, or what the wheel in the sky really was, or if lizards came from dinosaurs doesn't it mean that dinosaurs are real, or why God really wants us to have a new Ferrari...  

But I just don't have it in me.  I have something else in me.  

I feel like we're in an action adventure movie and there's a digital counter (like you'd attach to a bomb) hard-wired to the spirit of thousands of people, and the counter is clicking out the seconds left until they face eternity, and I have this vision of those people, normal people, regular people, people that God loves, looking at you and me standing there impressing each other with our deep spiritual knowledge, and they're saying to each other, "What are those guys talking about, and why should I care?  And what the heck is that TICKING sound?"  

The clock to the right of this post, counting down the time to Launch, isn't nearly as persistent as the clock on the inside of each of us reminding us what a frightfully short time we ALL have left on this planet to reach people for Christ.  Can you hear that tick talk?  

We're never going to reach people by arguing about theology with each other.  I LOVE what atheist Matt Casper says after attending a dozen "cutting edge" churches with Pastor Jim Henderson, in the book Jim and Casper Go To Church, "Is this what Jesus told you guys to do?"  

What's that ticking sound? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.