Thursday, July 17, 2008

How To Get Out Of Working For An Hour

Power washing at the annex this morning!  Great meeting about children's ministry at noon! Awesome youth service tonight! And all of it done by capable people other than me! So what makes me think I can lay carpet?  

Did you know that those really cool carpet knives have razor sharp blades on the bottom AND on the top?  Me too...now!  The expression "One for the Thumb" has a different meaning for me than Auburn's fifth consecutive Iron Bowl victory.  I got a boo-boo. Waaahhhh!  (Truly it was a VERY minor injury, although the Men's Room at the Annex looked like a very nasty crime scene until we got it cleaned up.)  

I need to take a page from Andy Stanley's Next Generation Leader. He says that the key to successful leadership is "concentration by elimination".  That means: Only do what only YOU can do.  Know why?  Because if I am doing something that other people can do, then 1. I'm not focused on doing what only I can do; and 2. I have just stolen someone else's job - taken away from them an opportunity to serve.  

Either way, another leadership lesson failed (or is that "learned"?), another opportunity to be humbled by the reality that as a carpet layer - I'm a pretty good drummer, and another trip to the emergency room.  I did my best to convince "Nurse Ratchet" that I had gotten a tetanus shot at Toys Are Us last week when they had their annual "Buy A Milton-Bradley Board Game And Get A Tetanus Shot FREE" sale, but she didn't bite.  My arm hurts worse than my thumb.  

The cut was small, but the lesson was big.         

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to getting better soon! Sorry to hear about your thumb. Hopefully your digits are all in tact now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind the infinate power of super glue. It does a body good.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.