Friday, July 25, 2008

It's The People...

People often ask me why – after living in Colorado for 30 years of my life – that I would want to live in South Alabama.  That’s an easy one.  And my answer is always the same.  My father grew up in a town of 2000 people in West Texas.  Ever been to West Texas?  There’s nothing out there but asphalt, mesquite trees, cactus and rattlesnakes.  Colorado was my father’s dream.  But it wasn’t really mine.  I don’t even like snow.  

In a bit of irony however, I absolutely loved West Texas.  It’s a bleak, harsh, hot and unforgiving land full of wrinkled people worn out by sun and hard work.  

I had a chance to go back there after my dad died in 1994.  Guess what?  It wasn’t the same – ‘cause all the reasons I loved it were buried in the cemetery 2 miles outside of town.  I realized it was the PEOPLE I loved, and not the place.  I love this place here because of the people, not because of the place.  I’m not committed to Enterprise, Alabama because we're the only city in America with a monument to a bug on Main Street.  I’m committed to our community because of the people that live here.  Crossroads, launching, donuts, coffee, good music, all the rest…don’t mean a thing without people.

Invite someone to love this weekend!

2 comments:

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.