Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Notes From The Garage

Well, now we know why the girl does communication cards so well each Sunday. Apparently she's a communicator. Everyone at the Garage tonight got to experience what happens when a diamond is first discovered, when Natalie Lurie took the platform and delivered a polished, professional yet deeply personal message called The Dark Side of Anger.  With great video support by her husband - Crossroads Media Arts Pastor Will Lurie - Natalie was well prepared and looked comfortable, confident and totally in her element sharing God's word with the 50 or so youth and adult leaders in the Garage at the Annex. She was funny and entertaining, but compelling and informative as her message drew out a felt-need we all have - dealing with anger that can threaten to push us over the edge. Way to go, Natalie!  Can't wait for the next time.  Keep it up.

Complementing Natalie's message, was a new original song by Sam and the GARAGE BAND. The vibe in the room was super cool tonight, and I told Sam that when they hit the first chord and began slamming out this new tune with full-on post-punk, British rock edge reminiscent of early Clash, it took me back to being in the Mercury Cafe on Pearl Street in downtown Denver in about 1983 - the first time I really experienced music with that kind of energy and reckless abandon.  Way to go, Sam!  Good stuff.

We are very fortunate at Crossroads to have the kind of student ministry that we have, and the talented people like Pastor Ben and Kelly, Will and Natalie, the GARAGE BAND, and all our adult and student leadership that make it work every week.  The young people that keep coming back, and those who come for the first time, know that student ministry is a big deal for us and always will be. Crossroads was born out of our work in youth ministry and has always been supported at its core by an army of faithful and talented teens. Thank you all for your hard work and support.  Watch as God continues to grow this very special ministry.  

2 comments:

  1. A diamond?!?! Really?! *blush* It was a really awesome experience. I was so nervouse before I stepped on the stage, then all of a sudden, It was like I was finished. I felt extremely at ease and I felt the Holy Spirit leading me. It was an enjoyable and humbling experience. I have a great amount of respect for you, though. I could't imagine doing this every week! I love you and Leslie so much and thank you for being there to support me!
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youth at Crossroads is an amazing thing to have in my life. Without it, I think getting through the week would be a lot tougher. Not only are the messages and the music great, but the people are very genuine. No matter what I know that Pastor Ben and Kelly, along with Will and Natalie, will always be there. That is something that so many teens in Enterprise don't have. And for the ones that already do, well there are still others to talk to as well.

    Natalie did a fantastic job last night. The message actually really hit home for me and it really did make me rethink the way that I handle things in my life. She should definitely do that more often.

    Everyone at Crossroads should keep doing what they are doing because it is working and there is no where else I would rather attend church.

    -Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.