Friday, October 24, 2008

Alternative Lifestyle

The more I know, the less I know.  Give you a great example.  Worship.  What is it?  How do we do it?  Is there a right way and a wrong way?  I spent the better part of 16 years trying to answer these questions, only to stumble on a new and more important question: What does worship look like at Crossroads?

I'm going to do my best to share my heart about some of this on Sunday.  Got some great video clips, and we're gonna break it down and share God's heart about worship from the Bible, and share some songs along the way.  I'm going to sing a couple, Janna's gonna sing a couple and so is Nic.  We'll have the worship team on stage for the whole service.  I can't wait.

Just like our words that we talked about last week - worship starts in the heart, before it ever hits the lips.  And just like our words set the course for our lives, so does our worship.  What have I learned?  I think God is a whole lot less interested in our "style" of worship, then He is in us having a "LIFE-style" of worship.

See you Sunday.  Bring a friend!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Im excited!
    -HM

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM PASTOR MATT:

    When I was at the Lavra Golden domed monastery in Kiev I was looking to go down inside some cave churches to see mummies, Coool! Well, I walked into what I thought was the entrance to wait to go in. There were around 40 people waiting, so I thought, while the minister was preaching in Russian. Every so often they all would sing together, in unison. After about ten minutes I began to wonder if this was the entrance to the mummies, or was this just a church service. The service evolved and grew into the priest giving individual blessings to those that wanted them. The singing never really stopped. Some were kneeling, and some were standing. I stayed to observe for about 25 minutes until it concluded. As I went I back outside I noticed something that really impacted me. There were several benches placed in a row just outside the small sanctuary. The benches were now full with people who had just been in the service. They all looked like they had just gotten out of a good ole’ Pentecostal, spirit filled praise fest. I mean, it was striking to me how noticeably affected they were. Obviously, the folks had been touched by the Spirit. Their hearts must have been positioned for worship, and a minister of the gospel ushered in the presence of God, and needs and hearts were touched. It didn’t matter that it was an Orthodox service at all.

    I told Hollie about the experience that night because it touched me so much. I guess in my own life I had looked so much for the right worship experience. Style, song selection, congregation participation. All of that. In reality, true worship experience can and does come in so many forms. I realized more than ever before how the heart being properly positioned to worship makes all the difference. By positioned I mean there has to be a strong desire to interact and access God. I know this is so basic, but it is also so true. No matter what type of service; Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Charismatic, or Russian Orthodox Christian, it’s about the heart position. The hearts perspective, expectations, and desire to truly worship God.

    I know this weekend it going to be great. I am so excited to hear how it goes. I just fell after reading your blog that there will be a breakthrough in the area of worship and I wanted to share my story of agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well since the apg section of the website is down i figured id ask on here:

    there is a song we sang in worship today and i just wanted to find out what it is it goes:
    "there is no one
    there is no one like
    there is no one like you"
    any info???

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song "There Is No One" is an original composition by Crossroads worship leader Nic McElveen. The APG section on the website is currently being re-tooled.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.