Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Give Me Some Skin, Man

I had lunch with a good friend today.  Made me remember how much I need friends.  Not that I forgot, but sometimes we can get real distracted by work or home-life or ministry - those great repositories of a thousand little details each that compete for our attention.  And then you take a minute and slow down long enough to look someone in the eye, and have a conversation. And you remember all over again, how good it is to do things person-to-person. There's nothing like it.  

Maybe this never happens to you, but I know that I can get in a mode of operation where everything is coming in and going out electronically.  It's just the way business is done.  Most of my communication with people throughout the week is done that way.  I was having a conversation with someone just this past Sunday afternoon at the fellowship, after we had celebrated baptism together, and this idea came up that reminded me of the story of the little boy who woke up afraid in the night, and his mom came in the room (like she always did), and she comforted him (like she always did), and told him that God was right there with him and God loved him, and he didn't need to be afraid.  He looked at her and said, "I know that God loves me, but sometimes it's good to have some love with skin on it".  

That's what lunch was like today: love with skin on it.  It's so good for us to be around other people.  I know everyone likes to get away from time to time, and I can relate.  But even though I KNOW God loves me, and he's always right there with me, and I don't need to be afraid, sometimes it's good to have some love with skin on it.  Friendship.  Brotherly love. Just can't beat it.  

Call someone up and have lunch with them this week.  Look them in the eye and have a good conversation.  Who knows, maybe they'll even pick up the tab!  Thanks for lunch, brother!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.