Monday, September 15, 2008

Very Funny Farm

I may have written about this movie before, but did you ever see 'Funny Farm' with Chevy Chase? It was made a long time ago, but it's one of my faves from the old days. Chevy Chase plays a sportswriter for a paper in New York. Fed up with the grind, he decides it's time to move to the country and write his great novel.  

They move, and though mishap, misadventure and a healthy dose of writer's block, it turns out he's completely unable to write.  Not even a sentence. His wife, however, begins writing a wonderful children's book about the mishaps and misadventures of a character named 'Chester the Squirrel'.  

The punch line to the movie (and their relationship) is when she gets signed to a big book deal for her Chester the Squirrel work, and he (the one who was going to write the great novel) realizes that Chester the Squirrel is actually him!  It's absolutely hysterical, and I could watch it over and over.  

Which brings me to Leslie's Blog.  Guys, I've been trying to tell her for many years that she is the one in our family with the serious writing skills.  I hope you'll go to the Crossroads website and click on "Chick Food", because I think that if you will, you will see that I was right.  She has a tremendous gift for writing, and I'm so happy to see that she is putting it out there!  

Having said that, I'll be watching her future posts very closely, just in case a character like, oh, I don't know...'Gene the Bombastic Armadillo' shows up!  

Keep up the great work, Leslie!  You guys have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. ....bombastic armadillo...hmmmmm. I had "Gene the Cantankerous Wombat" already in the can, but I feel a rewrite coming on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad that she has started writing. I love reading them, and they always are a word I needed to hear. She rocks!
    -HM

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.