Wednesday, September 17, 2008

'Night, honey!

I am a confirmed night owl. I've been that way all my life. At least as far back as I can remember.  Okay, bearing in mind some of you may find this hard to believe, I remember being in the crib in our house in Detroit where I was born. Since we moved from Detroit in 1963, it was before I was three years old.  And since I remember looking out of my crib, I was certainly less than two years old.  

So here's the point.  I remember looking out from between the bars of my crib, into the family room, where my parents and some friends were sitting up late one night playing cards. I remember someone coming in several times and telling me to go to sleep.  I refused.  I wanted to stay up...late.  

Flash forward to the mid-1960's.  The hot TV show at the time was Man from U.N.C.L.E.  I remember each time it was on (well after my bedtime), surreptitiously slipping downstairs and hiding under the green vinyl couch to watch the show on our (only) color television. Caught, scolded, and returned to my bedroom - I would wait an appropriate amount of time and sneak back downstair to my secret viewing place under the couch.  

(Just in case you were wondering:  The fact that I was being disobedient and sneaky child is not lost on me.)  

So anyway, that staying up as late as humanly possible without getting caught trick was standard operating procedure for me as a kid - one night with rather disturbing consequences.  Parents out to dinner, babysitter watching me, I slipped out of bed and hid behind the living room drapes.  Normally not a problem, except this time I fell soundly asleep...hidden behind the drapes  Parents come home, babysitter says, "He was no problem at all".  Only real problem? I'm not in my bed, and no one can find me!  Totally hysteria reigned, babysitter yelled at, parents freaking out, and I'm resting comfortably.  

Long story short (too late?) they found me.  Though they were relieved to find me alive and in the house, their joy soon turned to consternation. As you might imagine.  

I'm sure there are several great Biblical principles I violated that could be used against me to demonstrate why you should always do all the right things all the time, but that's not why I wrote this.  I wrote it to celebrate the fact that while I am STILL a confirmed night-owl - doing my very best work between 10PM and 3 AM, and Leslie my charming, wonderful, and now totally Blogeriffic spouse can't seem to stay awake much past 10:15, I went to bed last night before 9:30 and fell fast asleep, while Leslie blogged deep into the wee hours and - by her own report - didn't hit the hay until 3:00AM!  

Ain't bloggin' fun, baby? (Posted at 12:54 PM - Ha, ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.