Monday, December 29, 2008

MONDAY MIND DUMP

Welcome back to me and you!  I've had an extended absence from blogging (since Christmas Eve) while I enjoyed time with the family, including my mom and uncle - whom many of you met on Sunday. Thanks so much to all who made them feel welcome.  I trust that all who read this were able to spend at least some time with those closest to them.  There is no doubt that as close as my immediate family is, we feel that closeness with each and every one of you who together with us have become part of the Crossroads family.  I look forward to those relationships continuing to grow in the year to come.

Sunday's service was a joy in so many ways - here's a few quick takes:
  1. Really great to look back on all that God has done at Crossroads, but not just for an organization, or a meeting space - for the PEOPLE of Crossroads.  It was fun putting together the retrospective video of series roll-in's from 2008. My goal for 2009's last service?  For our video retrospective to be filled not with series and messages, but with people and their experiences.  My big take-away from 2008 is not how clever all of us are at wrapping up the gospel into 30-minute packages replete with video illustrations, cool graphics and sticky statements.  My big-takeaway isn't how cool the vibe is in the cinema, or how great the music is, or how wonderful the lobby experience is - though ALL of those things are true. My BIG take-away from 2008 is how God changed people's lives, and how He allowed us all to be a part of it.
  2. Number one was very long, so I'm skipping number two.
  3. So challenging to look ahead to the new year, but we look ahead in confidence seeing how God has equipped us, and comfortable with the plans and direction laid out before us. Focus for 2009?  That's easy, it's THREE things:  Connections, connections, connections.  Connections between us and God, connections between us and each other, and connections between us and the community around us.
  4. I appreciate so much those who put their back into the ministry every week setting up the sanctuary, the lobby, and the children's environments.  Crossroads would not exist without you.
  5. I SO appreciate our crack technical team who SOMEHOW - though restricted by budgetary constraints to the use of "somewhat less than state-of-the-art equipment" in combination with duct tape, bailing wire, and prayer - manage (just before vomiting) to provide an electronic delivery system for the presentation of the gospel EVERY SINGLE WEEK WITHOUT FAIL!  We owe you guys all the respect and admiration possible for your faithful service and willingness to keep coming back!  The church will begin paying for your Tums in 2009.  Thank you Will, Natalie, Max and Justin.  Now, someone get a cool cloth for Natalie's forehead.
  6. Thank you to my wife, Leslie - your Community Groups Pastor, Bookkeeper, Accountant, Lead-Pastor-Keeper-Aliver, family raiser, church mom - and my personal everything - for your love for me and the kids, your love for God and His vision for Crossroads, and your patience and guidance as we figure out a day, a week, a month, a year at a time how to plant a church in Enterprise.  (Keep it up and maybe we'll name a countertop after you or something.  Oh thank God for heavenly rewards!).  Love you.
  7. Worship was fantastic Sunday. I'm not talking about perfect execution, or unbelievable musicianship, or tight beginnings, endings and transitions - I'm talking about the HEART of the worship experience.  Janna really brought it Sunday and it came from deep within, and I jumped and celebrated and danced around and cried all the way through At The Cross, like a small child (but in joy and humble gratitude).  Keep it up, yo.
  8. Somehow, in all my coaching and mentoring and book-reading and networking, NO ONE I KNOW suggested to me that we might take the Sunday after Christmas OFF (though MANY of them do) - to celebrate our hard-working volunteers and allow people a bit more time with their families, a small vacation, and a bit of time to recover from the financial drain of Christmas.  Oops.  Look for it next year.  Sounds like a GREAT way to love God and love other people.
  9. Okay, I've already forgotten seven other things I wanted to write about, and at the risk of making someone mad because I forgot to personally thank them (you KNOW I love you), and because this post is getting quite long...I'm stopping.
Love you guys SO MUCH!  Don't forget about the GRAND Re-Opening of THE GARAGE on New Year's Eve from 9PM to Midnight.  If you are a responsible adult (or you play one on television - or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night), Pastor Ben and Kelly Rice could REALLY use your help herding young people. Come and enjoy the evening, the new space, the fellowship and the opportunity to be around about 100 teenagers to ring in the New Year.  It's going to be one for the books!  Have a great week!
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.