Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Don't 'Taze' Me, Bro!"

One year ago this month, I couldn't get out of my system the fact that I had to step out of one way of life and into another.  I was working free-lance on a project for a company.  The work was something I'd done pretty much uninterrupted for the 6000 days preceding.  

But that one day in May - the day a very simple project was due - I was struggling...big time. Actually struggling to be able to complete the project.  It was as if all the grace had lifted, and with it all my skill and ability in that particular area.  The need to move on was confirmed by the fact that my project was delivered several hours after deadline.  And in the previous 18 years, I never failed to meet a deadline.  Not once.  

Sometimes God stops us right in our tracks and arrests us.   It's as if we're out on a big stretch of road and God pulls up fast behind us - like an all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful State Trooper of the cosmos - and lights us up.  We pull over quickly and dutifully.  He exits His celestial patrol car, eases up to the drivers side window and says, "License, registration and everything else you have, please".  

But if you're like me, you may tend towards resisting arrest just a bit.  Maybe need a little convincing.  Can I just go ahead and tell you, the harder you struggle, the more it hurts.  Don't scream and holler.  Don't kick the back window out of the cruiser.  Just go quietly.  It'll be much better that way.  

I stopped fighting some time ago.  Every day I see God's plan and purpose in that traffic stop unfold a little bit more.  Every day things become a little clearer and make a little more sense.  

Let's add patience to our faithfulness!  I am convinced that if we only knew how much the Father loved us and how glorious our future looked, we might not kick so hard at the present.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.