Monday, April 14, 2008

Sodbusters

I was at the Annex today and I had to get the lights turned on in the unused portion of our space.  It was darker then the inside of a cow's belly back there, and I didn't have a flash light or a cell phone with me to light up my way.  As soon as I turned the corner from the hallway to the back part of the building, I was plunged into darkness so deep that I couldn't see my hands in front of my face.  I had to "feel" my way to the circuit breaker panel, to flip the right breaker and get some light on the subject.

As I was groping around in the dark, I encountered different obstacles that could only be described by how they felt.  One was cold, felt like metal, with rounded edges, and it had two protrusions that grabbed at me and held on as I tried to ease past it.  Then my right foot seemed to disappear in what felt like the soft crunchiness of a dead cat.  Creeped me right out.

I made it to the breaker panel and flipped the correct breaker on the first try.  I found myself standing with one foot in the middle of a large mop, and my jacket hung up by the handle of a set of hand trucks.  All of a sudden...everything made sense.

Not to mix metaphors (too severely), but I see Crossroads as a fertile, productive field where the all the activities associated with planting, growing, and harvesting are in full swing.  I see past the large stones in the field, the tree stumps and hard ground that is yet to be broken.  I see many laborers in the field sowing the Word, and planting their time, talents and treasure sure of the abundant harvest that follows their dedicated service.

We started so very small, but already we are growing, and growing quickly.  What we can see of Crossroads now with our eyes may be no more than a mustard seed; a scale model of what we will become.  But one day, we will stand on the side of that fertile field amazed at what God did with that small start, with that tiny bit of faith, and with the dedicated service of those laborers who believed.  And all of a sudden...everything will make sense.

Thank you to all whose hands are on the plow.  Together we are breaking that ground, and it's already making a big difference in the lives of many people.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.