Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Look of Grace

I got a call yesterday from a guy I used to work with.  He asked me if we ever got the church going in Enterprise.  I told him about the Annex, and where it was, and what we're doing there.  He said he would come on Sunday.  I don't suppose he's been to church for a very long time.  I mean...a loooooong time.  It was the most exciting news I heard all day.  Even if he doesn't come, I'm still thrilled!

To think that someone might come to church, simply because they trust that there is a place they could go, where people want them for who they are, is the happiest thought I ever get to think.  And it's the reason that Crossroads exists.

Jesus LOVED people!  All people.  He sat down and ate, and shared time with people from all walks of life.  The example he set for us is to be people-lovers! That's how we demonstrate our love for God.  In fact, he let us know that if we didn't do that, he'd have a tough time recognizing us when we get to heaven.  We need to make it easy for him.

Here's how I have prayed for a long time (REMEMBER: This way of life is NOT natural when you live in the world - that's why Jesus had to show us how to do it): "Father, help me see people like Jesus saw them, love people like Jesus loved them, and give my life for people like Jesus gave his life for all of us".  We don't have to literally die on the cross to give our lives for others, but Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ".  Paul said, "I don't live anymore, but Christ lives in me".

I love what the Message says at the end of Galatians 2: If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily.

There is no law that can keep us "right" with God.  When we look at other people, let's look at them with "grace-tinted glasses".  That's the way Jesus looked at us, and still does.  And he still wants us. Amazing!

Go deep.  Get some grace-glasses.  They come in an amazing variety of colors.  A pair to fit every situation.  Every life.


1 comment:

  1. YES!! Grace didn't come just to people who lived one kind of way, or to those whose semi- had it together already but to everyone. speaking of Grace-tinted glasses, have you ever been walking around a bunch of complete strangers (this happened to me at the mall in Dothan) and realize that every face you is an living, breathing, eternal soul. it reminds me of what one of my fae authors ever said. "You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendours.-CS Lewis

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.