Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We're A Hit!

Will I never run out of ways to prove my own stupidity?  Leslie and I hitched up my big trailer to the old suburban, loaded my bike, and headed to Dothan for some tire repair at the Harley shop. About halfway there, we pulled into the Pig Stop (great barbecue on Hwy 84) for a bite to eat with a faithful Xroads staffer.  

We're enjoying lunch, and in walks a very energetic and pleasant guy whose wife works with our lunch mate. We get introduced.  About then, his wife shows up, who I'd met before at the workplace of said faithful staffer. We have a GREAT, if quick, conversation. Turns out, she listens regularly to the podcasts on our website. They have been wanting to come visit Crossroads. I say, "Great!", and proceed to tell them about our Launch at the College Cinema on August 10th.  

We seemed to have a good connection, and they said they wanted to come.  I knew they lived some distance from Enterprise and remarked on it.  To which he replied, "No distance is too great to travel for the Lord". I thought, "Wow".  Now I'm stoked.  They're coming, they're excited, it was a great opportunity to connect. Praise God! Great lunch!  

As I pull out of the parking lot of the Pig Stop, I make a sharp turn around the front of their brand new Dodge Nitro...forgetting I'm pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. Should I go on?


CAR-RUNCH!!! I raked the front of their brand new SUV with my trailer fender, putting a severe - and expensive - dent in the right hand side.  

Sheepishly, I went back into the restaurant to tell them what I had done.  They looked a little rattled, but I gave them my insurance information.  He called me later offering to get an estimate before reporting it to his insurance company, which I thought was a real fine gesture considering how I messed up their day.  If they come on Sunday, I'm putting them in charge of something!  

A personal message:  "Guys, if you are reading this - I hope to run into you again, soon.  Just not literally this time!"

1 comment:

  1. Shuld we rename you Clark Griswold???
    -HM

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.