Thursday, August 21, 2008

Notorious

Luke chapter 15 records Jesus "lost" parables (as in lost sheep, lost coin, lost son). Though the importance of these parables cannot be overstated, I think my favorite part of the chapter is verse one:

"Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach".

How cool is that? Notorious sinners. Sounds a lot like you and me without Christ, yeah?

Not to make too big a deal out of this, but doesn't it seem like the presence of notorious sinners at church should be something that we earnestly desire? Like all the time? I don't know about you, but I was a notorious sinner back in the day. Literally, I had a reputation, among those who knew me that was largely based on the way I lived my life. And I lived a pretty ragged life.

But I remember - long before I trusted Christ - hearing the Word of God preached by various guys on television, and shared one on one by people I trusted. Though I was a confirmed sinner, I remember how hearing the words they spoke made me feel good. Made me feel peaceful. I couldn't have known then that the words they were speaking were breaking up the hard ground of my heart.

Part of the "groundbreaking" work we will continue to do at Crossroads in the months and years to come, will require recieving and welcoming "notorious sinners" in our midst. What a thrill! I love sinners, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather spend my time with. How about you?

Groundbreaking weekend coming. Decisions will be made. Grab a shovel and invite big.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.