Saturday, August 20, 2011

WHY INVITE?

I heard one time that Northpoint Church in Atlanta (pastored by Andy Stanley - one of my favorite pastor/teachers), never asked people in their church to INVITE people. Because they never HAD to.  From the beginning, people just got it.  They've ALWAYS invited big.  The passion of those attending Northpoint was fueled by the the really smart things the leadership of the church did to cast vision for reaching un-reached, un-churched people. Some 20,000 a week now attend!

But I also heard that Northpoint launched with well over 1000 people. I also know that Andy is a REALLY smart guy, and (it's worth saying) he is the son of one of the most widely known and respected pastors in America, Charles Stanley.  But that's Northpoint, and that's Andy. It's not Crossroads and it's not Gene or Leslie or Will or Ben or Nic or Chris or any of our awesome staff, leaders or volunteers.  We also didn't start with over 1000 people. We started with 33 people...in my kitchen. And me and Leslie and a few others invited them. Or else they wouldn't have come. Invitations are SO IMPORTANT!

Look, I'm just not that smart.  I mean, not ANDY smart, you know?  So I really need your help, here. I believe that God wants to save people from hell. People that live right here in our community. I believe that God will meet our desire to see to lost come to Christ and our commitment to preach the Gospel with crowds coming through our door.

But I also believe they won't just show up accidentally.  If we're intentional about praying, and studying, and preparing, and preaching, and everything else we do...we must also be intentional about EXTENDING THE INVITATION.  I really believe that the NEXT STEP TOWARDS GOD FOR MANY PEOPLE is through us!  YOU and I must open our hearts, and open our mouths and tell people about Jesus.  I believe with all my heart that one of the BEST things you can do for someone you know, or someone care about, is to INVITE them to come to Crossroads. 

I promise: you get 'em here, we'll preach the Gospel, and together we'll do everything, by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit, to lead those people into a life-changing, soul-saving relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ.  What's better than that?

Jesus Christ came to save people.  Our job is to let them know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.