Friday, August 26, 2011

Live Like You Were Dialing

Several years ago I had to ride to a nearby town 45 minutes away to pick up some materials.  A guy I worked with rode with me.  He was kind of a big guy.  Getting situated in my truck, he pulled the seatbelt across his barrel-like midsection, and snapped the seatbelt latch into place.  With that simple move, he unleashed a torrent of unintended consequences.

His cell phone was in his back pocket.  To snap the seatbelt in place he had to ease up on one cheek, just enough to perfectly execute a classic butt-dial.  His cell phone called the last number he had previously dialed.  It was his wife's number.

What he could not have known as he spent the next 30 minutes verbally downloading all the things he couldn't stand about his marriage, and his wife (which included some truly unsavory chapters in their life - I should add, NONE of which I wanted to hear), was that when he executed the perfect butt-dial...to his wife...she spent the next 30 minutes listening to everything he said. 

That they are divorced today has far less to do with the butt-dialing episode than the unresolved tensions and conflicts in their relationship.  However, after a conversation about that episode with a friend whom I inadvertantly butt-dialed myself today, I concluded that perhaps you should NEVER say anything aloud, at any time in your life, that you weren't perfectly willing for anyone in your contact list to hear.  He went one better:

Live your life like you're always butt-dialing.

"And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak.  the words you say will either acquit you or condemn you".  (Matthew 12:36-37, NLT)   

1 comment:

  1. I love when Matt butt dials me and he is singing. LOL!! I accidentally butt texted the word poop. Weird.
    -HM

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.