Monday, August 24, 2009

WEEKEND UPDATE (Late Edition)

Hi guys, welcome to the late afternoon edition of Weekend Update. Slow start today resulting from what my fried Dave Anderson calls "holy hangover". Not sure how "holy" it is, but spiritually and emotionally I feel sort of like I got stomped by a team of horses and run over by the stagecoach they were dragging. I wonder if that counts? Here's some of what led to that condition:
  1. Incredible Sunday at Crossroads that had nothing to do with me, and everything to do with God.
  2. I don't know who, or how many, made first-time decisions to trust Christ, but over a dozen people rededicated their lives yesterday.
  3. Great crowd, great attendance, tons of first-time attenders. First Sunday for new first-time guest GIFTS! Everybody likes free stuff, especially when it's GOOD free stuff! Something we've wanted to do for a year, it was cool to finally get that going.
  4. The lobby experience was really great, enhanced by the decision to take name tags mobile. No more name tag tables. Now, you're greeted by someone really nice who writes your name for you on a name tag clip board, and hands it to you. No more lines, no more crowded tables!! It felt we our lobby grew to twice it's former size.
  5. Worship was incredible yesterday. I should be more specific; it's always great, but yesterday was truly special. The last song had the majority of our crowd hooked up in worship in ways I have never seen before at Crossroads. Very cool. I look forward to that experience regularly.
  6. Our crack tech staff did a great job with yesterday's service. Video content was great, cues were sharp, new lighting worked SO much better, and the new mic they gave me was really cool. I've waited a year for something that didn't snap, crackle, pop, boom, or hiss. It's great to have good gear. Now I got to figure out how to wear it right, to keep it working right.
  7. Oh my goodness, I preached for nearly 50 minutes (as if you didn't already know that). Folks, it's not because I wanted to go long. It's not because I planned to go long. In fact I planned a 32 minute message (including clips and giggles). And I am sorry if anyone got a bit restless at the end. That is NOT our intention, ever. But...well, clearly God needed to get a point across to someone that apparently I didn't make in 32 minutes. It's not 'cause I didn't try. In fact, I tried NOT to walk back to my bible and open it again...but I did. And what came out was Acts 13, and this: "Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you". People walked out of the building different than they came in. They came in tired of religion and routine and rules and regulations, and they left with a renewed relationship with the Father. It happens that way sometimes.
  8. Next week? 32-minute message. We promise.
  9. Thanks to all who made my 49th-birthday weekend special! It's an honor to pastor Crossroads, but I am definitely equally honored to have friends and family who care about me and care FOR me.
Next Sunday we wrap up the series ORDINARY PEOPLE. This week, put in practice what we talked about yesterday. Remember WHY you're doing what you're doing. Connect God's vision for your life, with the discipline that will keep your life on track. When the practice of discipline is fueled by vision, you'll live a life of PASSION that transcends the everyday grind. Your life will take on new meaning and purpose, and God will do EXTRAORDINARY THINGS in you, and through you.

Have a GREAT week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.