Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ordinary People

Frankly, I can tell you I have never felt more ordinary than I do right now. In my 20's, I was bullet-proof and ten-feet tall. In my 30's, I was absolutely certain that I was the best at what I did for a living, and I was only too happy to tell you all about it. In my early 40's, reality still had not yet set in, and it wasn't until I passed the mid-forty mark that I started to realize that none of what I used to think about myself was actually true. Today, a few days from turning 49, I am a completely ordinary person, I am fantastically average, I am totally lost without God, and I am starting to think that He's got me right about where He wants me.

But there's something great about realizing how ordinary we are: it leaves a tremendous amount of room for God to do extraordinary things in our lives. All this month at Crossroads we'll be looking at how - with God's help - ordinary people like you and me lead extraordinary lives for God; with courage they never thought they had, discipline to keep attention on what's truly important, vision to see beyond the obstacles life puts in our path, and endurance to run the race that God has given each of us.

We are all ordinary people, but through Christ we have the opportunity to live extraordinary lives! That's something worth celebrating, along with the First Anniversary of Crossroads Launch at the College Cinema in Enterprise. Can't wait to see you all again on Sunday!


1 comment:

  1. I see a pattern here. NO! WAIT! I see myself! That sounds like the path I followed. Maybe it's common. I just know without Jesus in my life, I am nothing, but with him, nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.