Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just...wow!

I had a good friend come up to me last Sunday and say, "So what's the deal with your blog? I keep going there, and there's no there, there". So...let me offer my most humble apologies, to those who come here with any regularity only to find that I haven't updated in several days. I promise to do better.

This Sunday we're wrapping up the series ORDINARY PEOPLE. I have enjoyed it, honestly maybe not as much as some others, because it's, well...challenging. And I KNOW, it's a lot easier to talk about, than it is to do. The nature of what we've been teaching leaves us ALL with some tough decisions to make; "Do I DO this, or do I just KNOW it and not DO anything about it". I mean, it's that way with all of the messages we share, but when we're focusing intently on character development...somehow, it's more challenging, don't you think?

On the upside of all that, the feedback indicates that it's working. People are doing what they are hearing. One of the ways we get that feedback - as I heard again in a conversation this morning with a staff member - is when elements, or portions or the messages, or key words or phrases from the current series begin creeping in to the culture and the everyday conversations of Crossroads attenders. Perhaps one of the most inspiring emails I read lately, from a long-time Crossroads attender responding to a volunteer opportunity, contained these scintillating sentences:

"We didn't just want to be an attender...but an integral element of the VISION. Personally this is perfect for me and I plan to put 100% effort into it."

Now guys, I don't know about you, but that kind of talk cranks my tractor! I get excited when I hear people that are not staff members, or even leaders in specific ministry areas at Crossroads so impacted by what God is doing in our midst that they buy in completely to the idea that what they have to offer is valuable, important, and needed by God. If we allow Him, God's desire (as demonstrated throughout Scripture) is to develop courage, vision, discipline and endurance in ordinary people like you and me - so He can do extraordinary things in and through our lives. To know that people are hearing and responding to that simple message makes me think, "Wow". Just...wow!

P.S. For the faithful readers of this Blog. I will soon be posting the first installment of a twelve-part series called "The Lord's Prayer". Stay tuned, and thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.