Friday, July 24, 2009

ALMOST HOME (Pastor Matt)

I have 23 days and a wake up.  Meaning after 23 more days of work I will wake up once more just to get on the plane and come home.  I am very ready.
 
I look forward to seeing all of you and meeting so many of you.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!  Why is it that the last days before any big event seems to drag.  I feel like I am 9 years old and it's December 2nd.  I know it's soon, but it still seems like forever.  Truthfully, I know the time will fly so I am trying my best to reflect on the the last year while I am still here.  I know God has a purpose for my life and this trip was part of that purpose.  I don't want to leave here without truly seeking His purpose for me while I was here. 
 
Anyway, I live and work out of Kabul, which is in the northeast part of the country.  We go on trips to all parts and last week I spent in southern Afghanistan.  It was over 120 degrees for three days straight.  At that temp it doesn't matter if it is a 'Dry Heat' or not, it was just Hoooooooot!
 
I have been there many times before, but this time I saw something really cool.  On the 22nd there was a solar eclipse which could be seen from different parts of Asia.  I learned about it around 5:10am.  It was so beautiful.  We were about 5 miles north of the Pakistan border and the sun had just risen.  The mountains down there are really quite impressive.  There are huge rocks that just come out of the ground for no apparent reason.  Some are 2000 ft tall but only have a circumference of a building.  It is really neat but strange too.  We were flying about 50' when we came around this huge rock and the sun, half eclipsed, was just sitting there about an inch above the horizon.  In the past I have seen an eclipse, but they were always when the sun was full bright and way up in the sky.  This time it was just above the horizon so you could look right at it.  Both the moon and the sun looked soooooo big.  It truly was amazing.  Unfortunately we didn't have a camera and were only a few minutes from where we were going, so as soon as it was there it was gone for us.
 
I am so glad I saw that eclipse where and when I did.  The rest of the day I could not stop thinking about how amazing that was.  It made me think of how awesome and big God is.  It made me realize how small the world really is, and how His presence is all over.  To me...that eclipse was proof that God made this world for 'all peoples' to be close to Him.  Not just the US, Alabama, or even Enterprise, but everyone....everywhere!   
 
I look forward to seeing all of you, sharing time with you, and serving with you.

Blessings,
Pastor Matt

2 comments:

  1. Hurry home, my floor needs mopped! Just kidding =)
    (maaaaybe) Sounds like an awesome experience. Glad you have had some high points while there. Cant wait for you to get home to share them with all of us. And I am definitely excited about serving with you too!
    -yo' wifey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, thanks for sharing! I know it's difficult to stay connected from such a great distance, and podcasts are not the same as "being there". But everyone at Crossroads is excited to have you back (or meet you for the first time!) and it won't be long now. As always, you can be so very proud of Hollie and the boys. They have been so strong during your "trip" to Afghanistan! Stay safe these last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.