Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hal Mayer Quoted In The Bible

This morning, I came across a Bible verse I have read before, that in the King James Version never really stood out to me; "Also to punish the just is not good, nor to strike princes for equity"  Proverbs 17:26.  I mean I get the whole "don't punish the good" thing, but inequitable prince-striking was never something particularly relevant for my life.

But check out this same scripture (especially you church-planting types) in the NLT: "It is wrong to punish the godly for being good or to flog leaders for being honest".  The idea that: it is wrong to flog leaders for being honest literally jumped off the page and slapped me upside the head.

If we are to cultivate an environment in our churches where people are willing to step up and lead big, they have to know that they can trust the leadership that is asking them to do it.  In business, I had my head handed to me on more than a few occasions for leading out as a truth teller.  So I fully know the best way to ensure people will keep their best ideas to themselves, is to create a culture where being honest is rewarded by public humiliation.  

But if I'm being honest, I have also doled it out...and there's a price to pay.  I've seen first-hand (as the guilty party) that nothing pours cold water on a productive staff meeting like an insecure leader singling someone out for a perceived offense, or worse for being honest.  It's a momentum-killer.

This scripture reminded me immediately of Hal Mayer's advice to, "Use leadership as a ladder...not a hammer". I've made plenty of mistakes, and I'll make plenty more, but as a result of - at times - personally leading in business, in church, with staff, and especially at home with a hammer - and seeing how quickly relational doors close, I am actively re-tooling myself to SLOW DOWN and think EVERY DAY about how to lead by lifting others up.  Hopefully, given time, I'll be able to help engage, enlist, equip and empower others to lead.  There is no more important task for someone "in charge".

Giving people on our staff, or giving our employees, or giving our subordinates at work, or giving our children ample latitude to roll out new ideas, to say they don't understand, or even to confront things they think are wrong without the fear of being steamrolled or laughed at is HUGE.  I get that.  And I'm working at it.  How 'bout you? Let me hear your horror stories; your success stories.

Here I thought it was Hal's idea, and it's been in the Bible the whole time.  Sound off.


2 comments:

  1. Wow this Hal Mayer sounds really smart! lol Bro its an honor to be mentioned in your blog. You and the Roadies are making Enterprise a hard place to get to hell from! Yeah baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank Geneand Leslie along with all of my friends at crossroads for always being there for us. Whenever we need someone, we just go down the list and there always willing to pray for us and go out of their way for us. After all isn't that what Jesus would do. I have so much more confidence because of how they lift me up. They expect you to do your best and they know that God can and will use anybody who will put their trust in His Son Jesus.
    It is very important to lift others up. I'm learning g this through working at UPS also. These guys are working so hard. They all want to do their best. I just have to find out what they're good at and incourage them to keep up the good work in that area. I also have tone a servent. Jesus was the perfect example. Nobody is perfect except Him. But we can all encourage each other to do our best. And with His help who knows what great things will be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.