Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Go-to Guys

If you follow sports you are familiar with the phrase, "the go-to guy".  The go-to guy is the one who gets the basketball with .6 seconds on the clock.  The go-to guy is the one who comes out of the bullpen to get the last three outs.  The go-to guy is the one that gets the puck during a shoot-out.  The go-to guy gets the game won.  

In business the go-to guy is the one who solves the unsolvable problem.  The go-to guy is the one who closes the un-closable deal. The go-to guy is the one who keeps his suitcase packed and his cellphone charged. The go to guy gets the job done.

In the same way, as believers and followers of Christ, we need our own "go-to guys".  Personal, powerful, life giving scripture verses from the Bible that we can always count on to secure the victory, to get the job done.

This coming Sunday as we close our current series 'EPIC', I'm going to share about the importance of having go-to scriptures for our lives, and share with you some of my very own "go-to guys".

Ever question which parts of the Bible could be counted on as truth to guide our lives?  This verse has been our "go-to guy" for the past three weeks: "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives". 2 Tim 3:16

Got a go-to-guy?  Sound off.


3 comments:

  1. oh yes, we have to have as many go to guys as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil. 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." During many times in my life I have repeated this verse as my own "mantra" to remember that God not only never leaves my side, but surrounds me and even carries me to make it through situations that seems overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. out of all the verses by all the "authors" in the Bible.. I usually run over and over to the parts that Jesus spoke. specifically the sermon on the mount for direction (I like it in Matt6-7) and for comfort and assurance the things will be okay in John14-15.
    Jesus lets the disciples know that stuff is gonna get really hard.. Jesus promises the spirit of God will be with us ALWAYS. we won't be just left alone like an orphan (14:16-18). and that we are his friends and as long as we follow Him we have nothing to worry about. (13:14-16) those two stick out to me the most.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.