Friday, September 10, 2010

What's your Hurry?

According to cosmetic-surgeon and author of Pschyo-Cybernetics Dr. Maxwell Maltz, it takes a person 21 days to establish a new habit. Where did he get that idea?  Maltz noticed that amputees took, on average, 21 days to adjust to the loss of a limb and so he argued that people take 21 days to adjust to any major life change.  As one blogger I admire acerbically noted, "Unless you're in the habit of sawing off your own arm, this is not particulaly relevant".  I'm with him.  Here's why:

If we enter into a pattern of life-changing behavior expecting that at some point we will reach a critical mass in terms of the effort required to sustain that life-changing behavior, we may well be setting ourselves up for failure.  When I start looking down the road comparing my present state with that glorious state in which I imagine I can be, it can cause me to feel less than satisfied about my personal progress.  Yes, we should live fully in today looking forward to the future that is to come, but (for me) looking ahead to the second-coming of Christ doesn't use the same visionary musculature as looking ahead to being 20-30-40-50 pounds lighter, healthier, smarter, richer, more devoted or _______________! (fill in your own blank).  Know what I mean?

I think that's a part of what Jesus was talking about when he said, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof".  In non-Yoda language, it might be easier understood as, "Don't worry about tomorrow, today's trouble is enough for today".  One might even say, "Just take it a day at a time, bro".

Leslie and I have enjoyed nearly half a lifetime of sobriety taking it one day at a time.  I'm pretty sure that developing other life-changing habits works much the same way.  Whether your desire is to deepen or enhance your spiritual understanding or your walk with God, to grow in some way intellectually, or simply to begin living a physically healthier lifestyle go ahead and put the goal on the wall, but once it's up there, walk away from it.  'Cause the only way to actually live it out is a day at a time.

For what it's worth to the reader, Leslie and I began several weeks ago making some significant nutritional changes in our lives, and developing some new habits.  It's been way more than 21 days now, and though we are both seeing and feeling the impact of our decision, the changes are slooooooow.  It's okay though.  I'm not in a hurry.  I have a goal.  It's on the wall.  But we're walking this decision out one day at a time.  I'm glad about that.  The last two times we made the choice to walk it out it a day at a time, and stay comitted no matter what, it resulted in nearly thirty years of marriage, and over twenty years of following Christ.  One day at a time.  Try it.  Whatever new habits you desire to develop.  It works...if you work it! 

See you Sunday.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.