Monday, March 15, 2010

WEEKEND UPDATE (031410)

Great weekend at Crossroads that started with the Chili Cook-Off on Friday night, and wrapped up with Week Two of CREED!  Here's a few take-away's from two services on Sunday:
  • More than a half dozen people rededicated their lives to Christ on Sunday!!
  • I don't care what time the Government says it is...the 9AM service came early.
  • Actually - considering everyone lost an hour of sleep - I was genuinely impressed with Sunday's overall attendance.  Spring forward Sunday is traditionally a very low attendance day for churches.  I thought we did great!
  • In another great DST surprise on Sunday, we had TONS of first time attenders!  Kudos to the two FTA's that showed up for the 9AM service.  Now that's dedication!
  • LOVE what went on in Highway 68 yesterday!!  Nineteen 6-8th graders had LOADS of fun and shared a great message!  Keep it up guys!
  • We're starting to figure out the two service thing a bit better.  The tech side of things was much smoother on Sunday.  I also felt there was much less energy drop off in the second service message (although I still got a little goofy).
  • Second service WORSHIP WAS FANTASTIC!  Seriously, probably my favorite ever.  I could listen to Janna sing the telephone book and be happy!
  • I am loving this series!  It's challenging me to DO what I SAY I believe.  Jesus said: "COME to me, LISTEN to my teaching, FOLLOW it."  
  • Cute moment of the day: Watching Aubrey Reeves in her daddy's arms watch Emberlin Joy in Will Lurie's arms during worship.  If you like God, and you like worship, and you like babies and toddlers, it was pretty fantastic.  About a 150 out of 100 on the "Cuteness Scale".     
  • Green cookies in the lobby!  Excellent.  Thank you St. Patrick!
  • Quotable Lobby quote by Ben Rice that I used in the 2nd Service:  "We all have pockets of disobedience".  (Sometimes I feel like I have pretty deep pockets.  How 'bout you?)
  • My big take-away from the teaching: "Many will come and many will listen, but the wise will follow and obey, and WHEN they do, they know WHAT to do in UNCERTAIN times." 
  • Let me clarify about "my take-away from the teaching".  I am instructed by the Word and by the Holy Spirit throughout the week as I prepare for Sunday.  And I always LEARN way more than I could possibly TEACH.  What I mean is, I am convinced God is not remotely impressed by my ability to teach, preach or reach.  He's far more interested in my willingness to LEARN and APPLY.  Guys, just like everyone else who pays attention on Sunday morning: I get TOTALLY OWNED every week.  You know that, right?
Gotta go now, but listen; this series is a GREAT opportunity for me and you to examine our lives in the light of the Nicene Creed.  No, the Creed isn't some extra super holy incantation that magically changes you from the inside out, but it is a MIRROR.  Hold it up this week and look in it.  Ask yourself, "Does my LIFE look like I BELIEVE this?"

Have a GREAT week!!


           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.