Wednesday, November 18, 2009

M-A-R-G-I-N

I participate twice a month in a video coaching network for church planters.  It's my first video network, but the third coaching network I've been in in less than two years.  I got into the whole coaching network thing in early 2008 after a group of us attended a conference.  I didn't really see the point at the time, but the guy on the stage said, "The number one thing your pastor needs to do if you are planting a church is get in a coaching network".  His reasons were compelling and convincing.  I was first in line to sign up that day, and the impact on my life, and on Crossroads has been immeasurable.


My first network was face-to-face with a dozen other planter/pastors and a coach, Hal Mayer.  We met all day, once a month, for six months in Ocala, Florida.  I learned in those six meetings, and in the study time associated with the meeting, things people unfortunately do not learn on their own...until it's too late, and the church they planted closes it's doors.  I learned things to do, and just as importantly, things NOT to do.  Why is that important?  Because 80% of churches fail in the first 18 months.  Those are terrible odds.  


Like riding a motorcycle (which I do), church planting is a tenuous proposition at best.  Good coaching is like wearing a crash helmet, gloves, and leather boots (something I also do).  It's all about creating M-A-R-G-I-N.  On the motorcycle, when your margin of safety increases, your likelihood of coming home in one piece also increases.  In church planting when your margin of knowledge and experience increases, your likelihood of being there next Sunday also increases.  I like margin...'cause we only launched 15 months ago, and I'd like to be around awhile longer.     


There's other things that also creates margin.  In our personal lives.  Things like turning your heart toward God, following the teachings of Jesus and the lifestyle He modeled, regularly joining other Christ-followers in worship, reading your Bible and meditating on the Word, praying, serving others, sharing your faith.  These are a few of the ways we create margin in our personal lives.  When things get tight, margin can make the difference between success and failure...really, between life and death.


Good coaching and mentoring breathes life into what we do at Crossroads.  Where do you have margin in your life?  Where do you lack margin?  Can you see where having margin might have made the difference for you in the past?  Are you committed to creating margin for life?


Sound off.  Comments are open.
      



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please keep them on point. Offensive comments, or those with a bent towards personal attack will not be published, and the commentator will be flogged.